7.08.2011

a happy 4th of july

With the exception of a few international trips, I have spent every 4th of July of my life at Table Rock Lake in southwest Missouri. Those who know me know it’s pretty much my favorite place to be on any given day from about March to October, and when I don’t get to spend a 4th of July there (a lot rarer than you may think considering I don’t usually live anywhere near Missouri), I can get achingly sad. Luckily, I have deep, crystal-clear, fabulous Lake Tahoe a few hours from my doorstep. When we first considered going to Tahoe for the 4th of July, I naturally assumed it’d be a weekend of summery lake activities. I was wrong. Part of the weekend was spent that way, but on the 4th itself, I went skiing. Water-skiing, you presume? No. Snow-skiing. Snow-skiing on the 4th of July. It was odd, but tons of fun and certainly the most unlikely 4th of July I’ve ever spent (this includes three occasions of not actually being in the USA). Squaw Valley does summertime skiing right, with a sparkling swimming pool at the top of the mountain.

We had the good fortune of friends with access to a secluded cabin on Lake Mary (a much smaller lake near Tahoe, adjacent to Sugar Bowl Ski Resort), to which we had to hike through snow, still on the ground months after ski season should have ended. The hike was worth it, though, for the perfect woodsy spot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment